Sunday 6 November 2016

Bonfire Night 2016

I still recall now, times after "lights out" when my parents would sneak up to my room with a KFC, chinese food left over from a takeout or to wake me to come see a lunar eclipse; and how special and exciting it was.
Tonight a truly mega firework display began in a garden nearby thirty minutes after the kids had gone to bed. Unable to contain my excitement, I snuck into their bedroom and whispered "is anyone awake?"
Gaius was, so I literally snatched him from his bed, threw him into my dressing gown, and carried him out of the house and down the street. He was bewildered, but excited - and I'm fairly certain I looked like a kidnapper. (I did take this opportunity to explain that if anyone who isn't mummy tries to take him out of the house at night, he probably shouldn't go with them)
I stood on the field near my house, holding him close in my arms, whispering to him that I hoped there would be some special fireworks and that we weren't too late when WHOOOOSH - the sky was filled with them, big ones, small ones, noisy ones, whistling ones, all the colours of the rainbow, as we stood, snuggled together, enjoying a special moment, just the two of us. He delighted in counting with me as we waited for new fireworks to begin, guessing what colours they would be and how many more before they end. 
We stood out there for twenty minutes, cheering, belly laughing, counting and snuggling (boy do my arms ache) before the display ended.
I'm sure tomorrow he might think it was all a wonderful dream - but I hope he will remember this for his entire life. 
When his Mama woke him in the middle of the night and carried him out into the darkness, to watch the sky explode with colour, I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment