Thursday 28 October 2010

A is for Aluminium ....or is it Aluminum?

One of my most favourite past times is signing up for free crap on-line, however I am a typo queen perfectionist and everything has to follow a theme or be grammatically correct.
So imagine my HORROR when 95% through signing up for this blog (which involved making a new email address, blog address, several usernames and blog urls) when the Google Gods suddenly and "hilariously" decided to put that wavy red line under my spelling of Aluminum - AFTER I'd signed everything up.
Turns out Aluminum is spelt Aluminium in some parts of the world and apparently that part of the world is where I and my laptop live.
So I was freaking out to my friend TJ about grammar and we got into this "debate"
Me: OFGS I have mis-spelled ruddy Aluminum on EVERYTHING - I am stupid I am a MORON *headdesk* stupid difficult to spell alimimniumuni!
TJ: But Aluminum is Right - how did you mis-spell it?
Me: Aluminium is right
TJ: Uh...I don't think so

At this point we bombarded each other with proof we were both right from on-line commercials to Wikipedia articles *snort* yeah cause we all know wiki is always right. Which is when I discovered not only that "Aluminium is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust, and the third most abundant element" but also "Aluminum is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust, and the third most abundant element" - WOW what abundant metals! I could make me an aluminium and aluminum mine in the same spot and be twice as rich! Yup you got it wiki has the same page for BOTH spellings.

Me: It looks like an American and English spelling difference, ugh trust me to get a universally crazy spelled item.
TJ: I still say you got it right cause I always say alumi-num not alumi-nium or whatever
Me: We say Ali-mini-um
TJ: Weirdo
Me: Yup,you say alooominum and we say alley-minny-yum
TJ: Like I said weirdos!
Me: Can't figure out which spelling to use
TJ: Make it more universal
Me: Heads it's 2x I Tails it's 1x I.......erm....do you have a coin? *some time passes* They should invent a virtual coin toss App.
TJ : LMAO Invent one!

And you know what, some idiot genius already did!!

Coin Flipper

You flipped 1 coin of type British £1 Sterling:

Timestamp: 2010-10-28 16:03:55 UTC

THE COINS DO NOT LIE!!!!!

Aluminium is spelt with 2 x I

TJ: Dangitt, came up heads, wrong wrong totally wrong it's aluminum

Then of course I had to rush about setting all the account details up again (I told you, I'm anal a perfectionist)

If any of you who also are as broke as I am only carry £50 notes and need to flip a virtual coin try:http://www.random.org/coins/

No comments:

Post a Comment